Once upon a time there was a little township called Artesia. As with any town it had its own post office which not only served as place to distribute mail but also a place for the citizens to get together and share local news.
The last remaining Post Office of Artesia and perhaps the last remaining vesitage of this little township is a small cinder block structure on North Atlantic Ave in present day Cape Canaveral. This little building replaced the original Artesia wooden post office built in 1891. The original postmaster of this little structure was Elizabeth Holmes.
The history of these Post Offices is well documented with Library Of Congress archives. The original Artesia Post Office's application was made April 1891 by J.H. Hogan to the postmaster of Canaveral. The document was recorded May 17, 1891 and reported the nearest post office as Courtenay but the Canaveral Post office was the main link. The Artesia office was 7/8 miles in a northerly direction to continue route 16233. The nearest creek was Banana Creek and nearest river Banana River. Population of Artesia at time of application was listed about 30 persons. Application was signed by Henry Wilson the postmaster at the Canaveral Post office.
The next postmaster to serve was Elizabeth B. Eberwein. A form she filled out listed the office as East side of the Florida East Coast Railroad and at a distance of ten miles from the track. The railroad station name was Eau Gauie Fd in a document dated February 26, 1915. Elizabeth J. Holmes daughter of the previous post master made application January 31st to change the location. The proposed change of the location of the office was one mile North of the present location. The nearest office on the same route was Cocoa Beach.
A photo a woman delivering a letter in Artesia's 9 by 12 foot post office was published in a Miami Herald article dated 4-13-1952. The article entitled "Woman follows mother in job." The caption mentions that Elizabeth Holmes succeeded her mother as postmaster. "It may be the smallest in the state or even the nation - but Mrs. Holmes doubts it. The articles ends with announcements that this post office will have to be relocated because of plans for the development of the Long Range Missile Range. After it was relocated a concrete slab building was built to replace it. Site is a location along the Cape Canaveral Heritage Trail.
Florida Master Site file number is BR02570.
GPS coordinates N 28 24.193 W 80 36.251
Saturday, October 23, 2010
Thursday, October 21, 2010
Ray Osborne's series on Presidential visits to Florida continues with the visits of Warren Harding. This President loved vacationing in the Sunshine State.
An examination of his visits reveals a President who values his leisure activities with golf, fishing and being just a good ole' boy.
President Warren Harding spent a considerable amount of time in Merritt Island and Daytona prior to his Presidency. The historic newspaper Cocoa Tribune and Indian River Advocate have accounts of his visits to these areas. President Harding was an avid golfer and sports fisherman, and would often sail aboard a luxurious vessel into the area. The Indian River Advocate reported on February 11, 1921 that he arrived onboard a boat called the Victoria. However it got stuck in Mosquito Inlet and wallowed in the mud the better part of two days. At one point President Harding got out of the vessel and stretched his legs in Titusville at the recently built Gulf Refining company wharf, He he shook hands with a hundred or more of his Titusville constituents. He took a ride in a "for hire' Ford with its driver and bought some mullet from a local fisherman.
In March 1923, The President and First Lady returned to Florida for a short vacation. The President was to get in a round of golf in Rockledge and some other choice golf courses in Florida. Both the President and the First Lady were in a weakened physical condition. Mrs. Harding had narrowly escaped death from nephritis in October 1922 and the President's health was causing concern to his doctors. Breathing difficulties made it impossible for him to lie flat in bed at night and he complained of chest pains and shortness of breath. Playing golf with his aide, Colonel Edmund Starling, President Harding complained, 'Why, after playing eleven or twelve holes do I drag my feet and feel so tired: To Starling's suggestion that he should play fewer holes in future, Harding retorted, "Hell if I can't play eighteen holes I won't play at all."
The Cocoa Tribune reported President Harding’s arrival on beautiful houseboat called "Pioneer" on March 8, 1923. At a gathering of local businesses and city officials, Cocoa Beach real estate developer Gus Edwards presented the President and Mrs. Harding with a deed for an ocean-front lot at Cocoa Beach, inviting them to make their home when President Harding retires from the most important job in the US.
Unfortunately President Harding was never able to take him up on this offer as he died during his administration that same year.
Visit the President Harding's Oceanfront Lot Historical-Geocache
Monday, October 18, 2010
As Space Coast residents celebrated the achievement of becoming a spaceport not far away another group of entrepreneurs built their dreams, a pier that would launch into a Coney Island type seaside resort. The construction of Canaveral Pier began in February of 1962 and was completed in October with a price tag in excess of $150,000.
This venture was started by five Brevard businessmen. Two of the partners were Charlie Moehle, a dredging expert, who along with Rick Stottler who founded the Brevard Engineering Company in 1959. With the experience of many local civil engineering projects they unveiled their new 800 foot fishing pier on 270 pine-leg pilings. There wasn't much to it just a bait shop and a grill and typical of business start-ups there were many financial headaches." Back then, things were happening and looked like they would keep happening." said Charlie Moehle ,the pier's
architect. "The idea was to expand along the beach and do additional concession and rides.”
The first sign of success was reported on October 29th when the Cocoa Tribune published an account of a near record catch from the pier, a ten pound Spanish Mackeral, the fish was just 1/8 from the world record. But the Pier was destined to become more than a place for catching great fish but an enterprise housing budding businesses, a surfers’ mecca, and a bandstand for heart pounding rock and roll groups.
One of the first businesses to set up a storefront at the pier was Ron Jon’s. Vice President of the company at the time, Janice Baugher gave an interview in 1986 to a high school journalist where she shared her description of the early days of Ron Jon’s. “It all began in 1963 when owner Ron Dimenna brought a truck full of merchandise and settled in Brevard County to open a surf shop. The truck was his home for six months.“ said Baugher. With just $5,000, founder of Ron Jon’s opened a small store on the Canaveral Pier and stocked it with Levis, Rainbow Sandals, one small rack of bikinis and baggies, and surfboards.”
The shop was DiMenni's home for two years while he built up his business. "It's not just about opening a store and immediately becoming successful." stated Baugher. "This is a very long success story. Had it failed, he simply would have tried again." But it didn't fail. The beach was young and progressive, and the small shop flourished. Later due to growth Ron Jon’s moved from the pier to Third Street North, and then to the corner of 520 and A1A in 1967.
Tom Wasdin became a part owner in 1967. Under Tom's management the enterprise began billing itself as a haven for teen-agers and their beloved surfboards. In those days, it was more for young people," Wasdin said."We promoted it as the Surfing Capital of the East Coast."
A nightclub called The Asylum at the pier featured a psychedelic light shows and blaring rock music. Started in 1968 this promotion was short-lived as the popularity waned. A major remodeling job was undertaken in 1975 to attract more families. The new manager Doc Kelly wanted to get a mix of the old and the new. "Were doing the whole thing, repairing, remodeling. We're making the bar look like the inside of a ship. We’ll call it Man-O-War." Said Doc Kelly. "We're setting a 20 by 12 foot plastic clear insert in the middle of the floor. The folks will be able to sit there and eat seafood and watch the surf wash underneath them. Next year we want to get the (surfing) pros in here, offer $1,5000 to $2,000 in prizes." The pier and surfing flourished and in 1985 the name was changed to Cocoa Beach Pier to reflect the name of the city it was located in.
A Geocache is located outside the pier for the GPS enthusiast. Located underneath the boardwalk by the welcome sign.
Ron Jon "Hangs Ten for 23 ” by Kimberley Cook.
The New York Times 1962
Cocoa Tribune 1962
Author welcomes feedback from readers.
Previous comments made.
Lori Stottler> There was a nightclub with a dance floor that lit up entirely (very funky for the time) called the Asylum. In the beginning cars could drive right on up the Pier. There have been a host of musical acts that have played at the Pier: Beach Boys, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Flock of Seagulls, UB40, Edgar Winter Band, Ratt, Maxi Priest, Banto Panton, Ziggy Marley….just to name a few. Kelly Slater used to surf the Pier break as well as many other surfing legends did previously like Murf the Surf. Many astronauts have visited the Pier: Alan Shepard, Robert Cripton etc.
Gile Malone>Giles Malone became Pier GM in 1986 and met with the then Mayor of Cocoa Beach, Bob Lawton and decided to change the name to the Cocoa Beach Pier as that was the city of origin. The Tourism Development Council of the Space Coast joined in the renaming celebration with Malone, Lawton and Pier Director of Marketing, Wendy Ellis. In 1991, Malone designed and built a new 90-foot long gift shop called Ocean Notions and worked with Joel Brown Construction to get it built with the cooperation of the City. Over the next ten years, Malone created several additions to the Pier including the Atlantic Ocean Grill Restaurant Banquet Room, the Boardwalk Bar, the Mai Tiki Bar (at the easternmost end of the Pier in cooperation with Wayne Coombs, owner of the Mai Tiki Gallery in Cocoa Beach), Oh Shucks Seafood Bar, Sea Dogs Concession and Rickys Ice Cream Parlor and Family Fun Center.
Can you share any memories of your days to the pier? Your comments are welcome.
View the Pier now through this Webcam
Saturday, October 9, 2010
Here's comes that Jeannie Magic!
Everybody knows the 1960's TV series "I Dream Of Jeannie." The story begins when an astronaut, Major Tony Nelson, discovers a Genie bottle on a deserted island beach. A blond female named Jeannie vapors out of the bottle, and from then on, astronaut Major Nelson gets all that he wishes and then some.
Fewer people know that the stars of the show made occasional visits to Florida's East Coast due to the shows frequent references to Cocoa Beach and the Space Center at Cape Canaveral.
The Jeannie Day celebration made a splash in history as it demonstrated the cooperation of multiple organizations to plan a star-studded event.
The first visit of Barbara Eden was on June 27th, 1969, when Brevard commissioner Lee Wenner flew his small aircraft South to Miami to meet up with Barbara Eden the actress that played the character of Jeannie. Lee transported her to Brevard County where he landed his small aircraft at the Merritt Island Airport.
The Florida Today newspaper headline read; "Smiling, Wide-Eyed Jeannie Wows Em in Cocoa Beach."
Barbara's first activities in the area was to press a button that launched a weather rocket from Complex 43 at Cape Canaveral, and then to be the guest of honor in a parade through Cocoa Beach. Later in the evening, she was given a reception at Lee Caron's Carnival Club where she was showered with gifts. The most remarkable gift she was presented was an 8-foot (inert) rocket replica to commemorate the real one she launched earlier in the day.
Barbara Eden and cast returned to the Cocoa Beach area in November 25th, 1969, for a publicity event to promote the final episode where a mock wedding was to take place. In attendance were her real life husband Mike Ansara, and actor-groom Larry Hagman, the show's producer Sidney Sheldon and other cast members. At the event were many VIPS including Florida's Governor Claude Kirk, Major General David Jones and the Astronaut, Gene Cernan.
It would be 27years before Barbara Eden was to return to the area. A three-day-event in Cape Canaveral called "Space Day at Kennedy Space Center" was held in the second weekend in July 1996." Even the City of Cocoa Beach got involved when city officials commemorated the TV show by creating a special Jeannie Day, which included renaming Primrose Ave, to become “I Dream of Jeannie Lane.“
Other Jeannie Days were held in 2004 and 2005 although Barbara Eden could not personally
attend. A Jeannie Look-a-like contest, raffles and other events were among the festivities.
Jeannie Day was reborn in 2009 for the 40th Anniversary of the first visit by the actress. A get together was held at a restaurant called the Surf in Cocoa Beach, the original location where Barbara and cast had a meal. Among the attendees were participants of previous Jeannie Days who shared their memories. On this occasion comma there was a storytelling presentation with historic photos and a raffle drawing for a replica, I Dream of Jeannie bottle.
2010s Jeannie Day was even better. A telephone interview with Barbara
Eden was recorded and her message was shared with the residents of the Space Coast. In addition, there was a Jeannie Look-a-Like contest, a bellydancing demonstration, a slideshow presentation with storytelling. There was a raffling of a replica Jeannie Bottle and other collectibles; the proceeds of which will be used to support a local historic marker project.
Visit the location where Jeannie Days started by visiting this
Sources: Ebook "Jeannie Days Remembered" by Ray Osborne. Email author
for details on buying a copy of this popular story.